Source: Terrorism in Europe
During her confirmation hearing last September, Notre Dame law professor, Amy Coney Barrett, was openly interrogated about her faith. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) brazenly uttered the now infamous words, “the dogma lives loudly within you,” and went on to explain why that is “of concern” to her. This is but one manifestation of a new …
Man seized over Benghazi attack is Syrian linked to suspected ringleader -Libyan officials
MISRATA/BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) – A man seized by U.S. forces in Libya accused of involvement in an attack that killed the U.S. Ambassador in Benghazi in 2012 is a Syrian who had links to the suspected ringleader, Libyan military officials said on Tuesday.
U.S. special forces captured Mustafa al-Imam in the past few days and he is being transported to the United States, U.S. officials said on Monday, without giving more details.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, eastern-based military officials told Reuters Imam was believed to be a Syrian national aged between 35 and 40.
He was captured near Misrata, the country’s third-largest city located some 190 km east of the capital Tripoli, said Mohammed al-Ghasri, spokesman of the defense ministry of the U.N.-backed government in Tripoli.
“He was caught near the city of Misrata after his movements had been monitored,” Ghasri told Reuters in the first official statement of the Tripoli-based government.
When asked whether Libyan authorities had been present during the U.S. operation he only said: “Yes…(there) was coordination with the security agencies inside Misrata city.” He declined to elaborate.
The man had been originally from eastern Libya but spent time in Misrata where he had roots while he also had been moving around, Ghasri added. “He did not live in Misrata.”
Imam had previously lived in the Benghazi district of Laithi where he frequented the same Al-Awza‘i mosque as suspected ringleader Ahmed Abu Khatallah who was snatched by U.S. forces in 2014, eastern military officials said.
U.S. prosecutors opened their case against Abu Khatallah this month.
Imam has been charged with “killing a person in the course of an attack on a federal facility” and providing “material support to terrorists resulting in death,” the U.S. Justice Department said. He will appear before a federal judge in Washington when he arrives in the United States.
Laithi was an Islamist stronghold that saw some of the heaviest fighting in a battle for control of Benghazi that began in 2014.
In July, eastern-based military commander Khalifa Haftar announced victory in the campaign, which pitted his Libyan National Army (LNA) against Islamists and other opponents.
Libya has rival governments: one in the capital and another in the east allied to Haftar.
An eastern news agency backing the LNA published what it said was a picture of Imam standing in front of the Benghazi barracks of an armed group before it was taken by Haftar’s forces.
The Benghazi attack, which killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, was the topic of numerous congressional hearings, with Republican lawmakers critical of the way in which then-secretary of state Hillary Clinton handled the attack.
Libya has been mired in conflict since the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi, with Islamist militants gaining ground as fighting between rival factions created a security void
CBS Finally Wakes Up to Mueller Investigating Top Dem’s Russia Connections
Amidst the coverage, Tuesday, of the 2016 campaign and charges in possible coordination with Russia, CBS finally noticed the implication of a powerful Democrat, who just happened to be the brother of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign chairman. This Morning managed a scant 39 seconds to this news: “A leading Democratic Party lobbyist is under scrutiny today after his firm was linked to Paul Manafort’s indictment. Tony Podesta resigned from the Podesta Group yesterday.”
Co-host Gayle King added, “He is the brother of John Podesta, the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. The Podesta Group lobbied for the pro-Russian Ukrainian group with ties to Paul Manafort.”
She noted, “The indictment says that Manafort asked two unnamed companies to lobby on behalf of Russian interests in Ukraine.”
On Monday night, the CBS Evening News ignored this part of the story, despite the fact that the network devoted 18 minutes and 45 seconds to the overall Russia investigation.
Only ABC covered Podesta on Monday. On Tuesday, only CBS did, but for less than a minute. Keep in mind, the network morning shows have a combined eight hours of air time.
A transcript is below:
<<< Please support MRC’s NewsBusters team with a tax-deductible contribution today. >>>
CBS This Morning
7:11:42 to 7:12:21
GAYLE KING: A leading Democratic Party lobbyist is under scrutiny today after his firm was linked to Paul Manafort’s indictment. Tony Podesta resigned from the Podesta Group yesterday. He is the brother of John Podesta, the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. The Podesta Group lobbied for the pro-Russian Ukrainian group with ties to Paul Manafort. The indictment says that Manafort asked two unnamed companies to lobby on behalf of Russian interests in Ukraine. The Podesta Group did not confirm it was one of those companies. The firm says this: “It has fully cooperated with the special counsel’s office and taken every possible step to provide documentation that confirms compliance with the law.”
Why all these nonsense about sexual harassment now? Why did the women so “harassed” gave in to sex for a role? If they had exposed the practice at the expense of roles they would have played, the men involved should have been exposed and the act tempered I thought.
I never thought Americans with all their education could be this pedestrian on the so-called Russian involvement in the 2016 American Presidential election. Why are they refusing to look at the DNC system hack and what came of it?
CNN has put on its thinking cap again, or not, in reporting this about Russia’s agenda.
(CNN)A former National Security Council employee who served in the White House under President Barack Obama has issued a harsh rebuke of Russia President Vladimir Putin, saying his actions during the 2016 election amount to “21st-century information warfare.”
Responding to reports that 126 million Americans saw Russian-linked Facebook content during and after the 2016 presidential campaign, Samantha Vinograd told CNN anchor Chris Cuomo on “New Day” Tuesday that “Putin is engaging in digital psyops, or psychological operations.”
She continued, “He’s using misinformation to try to sow divisions in the United States. His view is, the more divided we are here at home, the weaker we’re going to be.”
Information warfare, really, from the folks who weaponized everything against the people, including information. And they did it with the help of the media…
View original post 177 more words
A U.S. congressman who visited WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange (shown) in exile says Assange “has absolute proof” that the leaked DNC e-mails published by WikiLeaks last year did not come from “the Russians.” Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) wants to help Assange reach President Trump with an offer: In exchange for a pardon, Assange will make that proof available. There is just one problem: Trump’s staff is keeping the deal from Trump, according to the congressman.
Assange has long claimed that the DNC e-mails that WikiLeaks published last year — much to the embarrassment of the Democrat establishment — were not given to WikiLeaks by Russians or hackers. Last month, he offered to prove it. But since Assange has lived in exile in the Ecuadorian embassy in London since 2012 due to both criminal charges in Sweden for sexual misconduct (which Assange says were trumped up after he released thousands of diplomatic cables and other U.S. government documents) and fear of being arrested and charged with espionage by the U.S. government, he wants something in return for the evidence: He has asked for a pardon from President Trump.
But on September 23, Trump — who famously stated “I love WikiLeaks” when he was on the campaign trail — told the press he has “never heard” of Assange’s offer to make a deal in exchange for the evidence that would dismantle the Trump/Russia fake news narrative. Rohrabacher says that the information is being kept from President Trump by his own staff. “I think that when he hears that there’s been an offer made, he will insist on knowing about it,” Rohrabacher said.
Late last week, Rohrabacher said that he believes that Trump would “get behind” such a deal, if he were aware of it. “I think he will because I’m going to try to overcome the obstacles in the way — which happens to be his staff,” Rohrabacher said, adding, “So in the next few weeks, my job is to try to make sure the president’s staff doesn’t fence him off from this offer.”
Since much of the Trump/Russia narrative rests on the foundation — laid by Hillary Clinton, the liberal mainstream media, and Trump’s enemies in the intelligence community — of the claim that the DNC and Clinton campaign e-mails published by WikiLeaks were provided to WikiLeaks by Russian hackers as part of a conspiracy to ensure the election of Trump (as Putin’s “puppet”), the evidence offered by Assange would go a long way to putting that fake news narrative to rest for good.
Representative Rohrabacher says that Assange “has a story to tell” and that he is “the one guy that I think the American people and the people in the world need to hear,” adding, “and he’s the one guy that now our intelligence agencies, as well as the powers that be in Washington don’t want anybody to hear.” But Rohrabacher did hear Assange. In fact, he took a special trip in August to visit Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy to hear him out. As a result of what he heard and saw during that three-hour meeting, Rohrabacher says Assange “has absolute proof of who gave him those emails.”
In an interview with The Hill in August, Rohrabacher said, “Our three-hour meeting covered a wide array of issues, including the WikiLeaks exposure of the DNC [Democratic National Committee] emails during last year’s presidential election,” adding, “Julian emphatically stated that the Russians were not involved in the hacking or disclosure of those emails.” Rohrabacher went on to say that “Julian also indicated that he is open to further discussions regarding specific information about the DNC email incident that is currently unknown to the public,” but that “the rest of the message is for the president directly.”
The liberal establishment used both the occasion of Rohrabacher’s visit to Assange and Assange’s message to the president to continue propagating the myth of a Trump/Russia connection with Assange as the messenger boy. This time, though, they included Rohrabacher in their attacks. Adrienne Watson, the DNC’s deputy communications director, released a statement long on snark and short on facts. She wrote, “We’ll take the word of the U.S. intelligence community over Julian Assange and Putin’s favorite Congressman.” Ah, the obligatory attempt at guilt-by-association. Given the fact that the intelligence community has been caught — time and again — in recent history lying to the American people, it requires something akin to blindness to follow them down the Trump/Russia rabbit hole. Assange, on the other hand, has spent more than 10 years proving his credibility. In that time, WikiLeaks has published literally millions of documents. Not one of those documents has ever been shown to have been manufactured by WikiLeaks.
As for Representative Rohrabacher, he seems undeterred by the attempted smear, stating that he will continue to work to ensure that the president is aware of Assange’s offer.